There are different options for you to define or select your course project:
- Bring your own data and project idea to the course. Simply talk to your course lead about your idea and the goal of the project until the end of the semester.
- Choose a project from the list of current projects provided in the table at the end of this page.
- Talk to local companies or chairs at your local higher education institutions if they are interested in a machine learning protoytpe for some of their production or research tasks and would like to share the corresponding data. If you find a partner that would be interested in such a project, we will be happy to support you in the definition of the project together with the partner and also, for example, with setting up a non-disclosure agreement for the provided data.
- Look for an interesting dataset on the Internet and define yourself a project based on this dataset. However, we would very much recommend you to choose one of the before mentioned options. With datasets from the Interenet (e.g. from Kaggle competitions) your main challenge is typically limited to optimizing the model with an already prepared dataset. However, in practice the challenge is more often to construct the right training and validation datasets and construct the right features.
- For a text classification task usually a few hundred labeled cases are already sufficient.
- Daily sales or usage data is also always interesting, you can then try to predict solely based on the given characteristics of a day and the sales before this day (which week of the day, beginning/end of the month, during holidays, sales on the same day a week earlier, sales on the day before, and many more). Minimum for such time series analyses is around 1000 cases (i.e. about 3 years).
- Considering the work with images it is also an option for a project to take a set of a maybe just 100 unlabeled images with similar objects and generate new images from these using a Generative Adversarial Network (GAN).
For some of the projects listed above it is necessary to sign the following NDA to get access to the corresponding data:
Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)